Is Bariatric Surgery the Right Option for Your Weight Loss?
You have tried all sorts of weight losing diets, but you lose and eventually re-gain the weight. Are you currently wondering if weight loss surgery might be right for you? While bariatric surgery is a great way to achieve your long term weight loss goals, there are still many facts to consider before choosing this option.
If you are really looking for long lasting results, weight loss surgery is one of the best options available today. However, it is important to consult with a bariatric surgeon whether you are a candidate for undergoing a any surgical weight loss procedure. There are some guidelines that most surgeons refer to while deciding if a patient is a good candidate for bariatric surgery.
General Qualifications for Weight Loss Surgery
- Your age is between 18 and 65.
- You have been over-weight and have a BMI of 40 or higher for at least five years. (You can still be considered an right candidate for weight loss surgery for a lower BMI if you are suffering from any critical health conditions like obstructive sleep apnea, cardiovascular diseases, or diabetes.)
- You have tried multiple weight loss diet and exercise plans in the past few years with no positive results.
- You are ready to follow the long-term guidelines, instructions, healthy diet and are committed to specific lifestyle changes after weight loss surgery.
- You are not suffering from severe and uncontrollable psychiatric and mental conditions.
- You do not smoke or you have stopped smoking. You are not addicted to tobacco, alcohol or abuse drugs.
- You are not planning for pregnancy and ready to postpone conceiving for few years after weight loss surgery.
These are common guidelines to determine if you meet the general criteria for undergoing a weight loss surgery. However, it is your surgeon who will make the final decision to ensure this is the right choice for you.
Bariatric Surgery is indeed a life changing experience. If you are interested in learning more, please contact one of our experienced Care Facilitators at Ready4aChange today!