Are you dating after bariatric surgery? Going out with hopes of meeting that special someone can already be a challenge. How does life after bariatric surgery affect your love life, prospects, and new found confidence? If you’re ready to move forward, keep the following life after bariatric surgery love tips in mind.
1. Reveal When Necessary- How soon should you drop the Bariatric bomb? That’s all up to you. Don’t spend your first few dates wondering whether or not you should reveal your formerly obese self. After all, who you are is exactly what is in front of your suitor. He’ll either want to go out again or not (and you’ll be busy making that same call). Live in the moment and keep your past in the past for now.
2. Don’t Be a Downer- Sure the numbers on the scale have dropped, that doesn’t mean you’ve reached your goal weight quite yet. You might feel frustrated, discouraged, and above all ticked off that you still have to follow a stricter diet plan. Words to the wise, don’t be a downer. If you find yourself complaining about your physique, restrictions, or weight loss struggles, your date is going to check out long before the check arrives. Keep conversations light and not so personal.
3. Plan Your Meals- Nobody wants to wine and dine someone who can’t enjoy life and live a little. If you’re already wondering what you can eat when he asks you out, check out the restaurant menu beforehand either online or in-person. You’ll be well aware of your food options and can make necessary adjustments in advance. If nothing seems to fit the bill you can always suggest a different locale, so long as it is within the same budget.
4. Be Confident- If this is your first time “out there” dating after bariatric surgery you’re probably a little nervous. Practice smiling, making small talk, and entrust a close friend to help you pick the right outfit. Remember, wearing black is always appropriate, and it’s slimming too! Every woman looks beautiful in a black dress, and every man can pull off a black shirt and tie. Conceal any problem areas with a lightweight cardigan and wear a one inch heel for extra height. Red lipstick isalways an option.
5. Love Your Body- Now comes the tricky part. After several dates you might find your relationship starts becoming intimate. You might have excess skin, stretch marks,the whole shebang that makes you feel not so perfect. It’s OK. the best thing you can wear when wearing absolutely NOTHING is a self-assured smile. Love your body, embrace your curves, and keep eating right. You’ve been on a long journey. Dating after bariatric surgery will be different. And different can be a very good thing. Enjoy the new you!